Hey fam! Can you believe we are officially in the first week of summer!? It’s legit hard to believe we’re halfway through this year. I’m sure we can all agree that 2020 threw us off in more ways than one. We were all shaken up in some way. From our daily work routines to our at-home beauty and skincare regimens – what a season! It’s so hot in Texas (our new home state!) so I’m quickly learning a change in the weather requires a bit of a regimen shakeup, the same way you don’t always apply the same skincare in the day versus the night. Climates vary across the globe, but in the summer, we typically deal with increased time in the sun, especially since we’ve all been cooped up inside for so long! So what’s the most important steps in a summer skincare routine?
- LOTS OF WATER – Not a skincare product but a fact. Studies suggest drinking half your body weight in ounces of water per day. Keeping the inside hydrated is just as important as applying hydrating products to the outside of your skin! Also lots of watermelon helps too 🙂
- SPF – Rain or shine, indoors or outdoors, sunscreen is an absolute must and should be priority #1.You should wear SPF year-round, and summertime is no exception! I love lightweight, water-based moisturizers with the added benefits of SPF during hot and sweaty months. At the same time, I have to be very choosy with my SPF when it’s mixed in with moisturizers because it can make me break out if I’m not paying careful attention to the added ingredients. This one from Vichy is a current fave and hasn’t made me break out! The LiftActiv Peptide-C Sunscreen SPF 30 from Vichy is an Anti Aging Moisturizer with Broad Spectrum UVA/UVB SPF 30 protection. It protects your skin from the exposome (all the external factors that can cause up to 80% of skin aging like UV rays, pollution, climate, stress, diet, etc.). The formula is dermatologist tested and includes:
- Pure Vitamin C to brighten and firm the skin while reducing fine lines
- Plant-based Phyto Peptides to prevent and protect against signs of collagen loss in the skin
- Vichy Volcanic Water from the French volcanoes, rich in 15 minerals and clinically proven to strengthen the skin barrier from skin-aging exposome factors like UV rays and pollution.
- Broad Spectrum SPF 30 to provide a daily defense against skin- damaging UVA & UVB rays
- Listen – At any given time, listen to what your skin needs. This can depend on so many exposome factors from the environment, diet, your menstrual cycle, stress levels, current location.. to so many other things. If you’re traveling and experience a climate shock then note that it might be necessary to pack both heavier and lighter products when you change environments.
- Serums – it’s so easy to skip the serum step when you’re in a rush or feeling lazy with your skincare routine, but try more often than not to incorporate a powerful serum. I’ve learned that moisturizers are great and so is SPF, but it shouldn’t end there. A year from now, a good anti-aging serum can completely transform your skin. Don’t overcomplicate it. I’ve been loving these really easy to use ampoules from Vichy (I’ve talked about them here). The LiftActiv Peptide-C Anti Aging Ampoule Serum from Vichy are basically vacuum-sealed glass vials containing a fresh dose of a highly concentrated serum including:
- Avoid bad habits – It’s wise to not keep your home too hot if you can help it, and to avoid long, steamy showers, because research has shown it can damage your skin’s barrier. Lukewarm showers are great – just make sure you apply moisturizer on damp skin afterward. This will help seal in and replenish the moisture that your skin is desperately craving.
Hope this post keeps your summer skincare routine on the right track! Feel free to comment below and let me know what your favorite summer tips/tricks are. Please share with the community! And visit www.vichyusa.com and use my code SAZAN2020 for 15% off and free shipping if you’d like to try the products I mentioned 🙂
Until next time…