Tag Archives: fashion
“What are you thankful for?” It’s a question that’s just as attached to Thanksgiving as the Turkey and mashed potatoes are. I told myself I would take the day off from blogging today, but I couldn’t resist. I’m in the festive mood to share some of the things I am really thankful for this year. Enjoy.<3
1. The Man Upstairs: Without God, I wouldn’t be standing. Especially in a city like Los Angeles. My faith has been tested in so many ways and I am SO thankful for that. Thank you God for showing me that I’m not perfect and I never will be, but that’s okay!
2. My Family, Friends, Yoshi: I am so blessed to have such an amazing family who loves and supports me! I think moving to LA this year really made me realize how lucky I am to have such an awesome family. I am also so so thankful for my amazing group of friends- old and new! You guys keep me grounded. I can’t forget about little Yoshi, our new family pup (shiba inu)! It makes visiting home in Texas that much cozier having a cutie running around. I never had a pet growing up, so Yoshi makes me feel like a kid again. I know, it sounds cheesy. But so true.
4. My Dream Team: I am so thankful for my new management team that literally saved me from wanting to move back to Texas a couple of months ago! I was searching everywhere for a management team that could help me take my career to the next level but I felt so overwhelmed and decided to quit looking. Chasing the dream in Los Angeles is seriously the most draining thing a person can do, so yes there was a brief moment when I wanted to click the eject button! Thank God I didn’t. Mighty Fresh found me and the rest is history. Richard and Jemie you have been more than just managers to me, you guys are my mentors and role models. I am also so thankful for Ian my programmer. SpazMag wouldn’t be up and running without him on the back-end. I am so excited to have these guys on my team! My dream team!
5. My Amazing Followers: This number keeps getting higher and my mouth keeps dropping lower! 70K followers combined on all my social platforms?! It’s so surreal! Ah! Yet so humbling. I can not begin to express how grateful I am for each and every single person who takes the time to support. My blog is just one platform so to connect with so many of you through social media, it’s been so powerful. It’s so fun when I get to meet some of you in person (it makes this so real!), but I also love all the e-meets! You guys inspire me to keep inspiring. Thank you!
6. Texas: I didn’t realize how much I’d miss home until it wasn’t home anymore. Moving to Los Angeles has been one of the best and worst things that’s ever happened to me. It’s not the easiest market to tap into fresh out of college, but it’s forced me to go chase after what I want and be a “big girl”. There is no place like the south, I’ll tell you that! I love chasing the dream in LA, but Texas will always be my home and getaway spot when I need a break. Yeeeehaw! (Sorry, had to.)
What are you guys most thankful for?
We can’t have Thanksgiving without some shopping the day after! Right!? I typically try to stay away from crazy-busy stores on Black Friday, because I end up feeling so overwhelmed and forget why I’m there in the first place. Oops! The best Black Friday advice I can give to you this year is to plan out your shopping day before you hit the door. I’ve included some tips below as well as some of the awesome discounts happening at my favorite stores!
1. Make a List- What do you absolutely need? 80% should be needs and the other 20% wants. If you stick to your list, you get distracted and buy everything in sight that has a red sticker on it. You can also make it even easier for yourself by downloading the Black Friday app that will literally help you in more ways than one.
2. Dress Comfortably- Sounds silly but so many people are rushing to the stores they forget to wear appropriate clothes,comfortable shoes and a bag that you can keep attached to you at all times (a cross body or messenger bag is best). Don’t wear anything you’re afraid of losing. Black Friday is no joke!
3. Keep Receipts in One Place- You might get something that you hate and want to return but misplace the receipt! I hate when this happens! Tip: Put a plastic zip-lock bag in your purse and place all of your receipts inside of it. Sometimes when you leave your receipts in the shopping bag or throw it in your purse, you forget about it! You’ll want to keep everything in case something doesn’t work or you regret the purchase.
4. Four Hands Are Better than Two- Bring a buddy! You are not only splitting your strategy by getting some help, but allowing honest assessments about clothing choices and whether the price is really a bargain. I’m indecisive when it comes to shopping so I definitely would need a buddy or two!
5. Follow Brands on Twitter- Thanks God for social media! You never know what your favorite brand might tweet about a sale or new offer. Keep an eye on social media by checking on the latest hashtag #BlackFridayDeals to see what steals people are about!
H&M: Deals starting at $2.95, Scratch-offs for the first 100 people with values up to $300, “Black Friday Deal Days” leading up to Black Friday with up to 70% off at H&M
DVF: Get $50 off when you spend $200 online with code DVFINSIDER now through Dec. 31.
Nordstrom: 40% Kate Spade handbags + more.
Gap: Head over to Gap for up to 60% off online and in-store Nov. 30 through Dec. 2.
BaubleBar (Jewelry): The more you spend, the more you save on BaubleBar‘s selection of jewels. You’ll earn 15 percent off two items with code FRIDAY15, 25% off three items with code FRIDAY25, and even 35 percent off four items or more with code FRIDAY35 on Nov. 29. (My fav is this necklace**Also the one from the collage above!)
Forever 21: Enjoy pre-Black Friday sales at Forever 21 beginning Nov. 20 and featuring styles up to 50 percent off. On Nov. 29, look forward to yellow-tag deals with items starting at $3.
Shopbop: Save 15 percent when you spend $250, 20 percent when you spend $500, and 25 percent when you spend $1,000 on Shopbop from Tuesday (Nov. 26) through Cyber Monday.
House of Harlow: Receive 25 percent off the entire site using the code BLACKHOH from Thursday, Nov. 21, through Cyber Monday.
Bath and Body Works: Spend $40, and get a limited-edition VIP tote filled with the brand’s best sellers for just $20
MAC Cosmetics: Visit the Macy’s counter or website to get the new matte, black lipstick Hautecore
Macy’s: Special sets from brands like Estee Lauder, Clinique, Smashbox, Origins, bareMinerals, on November 29.
Red Carpet Manicure: In Ulta stores, get the Red Carpet Manicure Pro 45 Starter Kit for $50 (originally $80).
Sephora: $10 deals beginning November 29.
Clarisonic: Pick up the new Mia First for only $99 from November 26 to December 5, as well as on December 9, 26, and January 5.
Drybar: Joy to the Hair gift certificates are on sale for $40 (originally $50). Each coaster can be redeemed for one blowout and a scalp massage.
Nordstrom Beauty: Nordstrom stores will be closed on Thanksgiving Day, but you can rest and shop the sales during extended hours on Friday, November 29 and Saturday, November 30. If you shop at a Nordstrom store and spend $150 on women’s fragrance, you can get a snow globe gift with purchase.
Mod. Party. Style. Because what’s better than spicing things up this holiday season?! Think: making a statement without spending a fortune. Thanks to Target, today’s outfit idea is affordable and strays away from the obvious red/green/sparkly holiday dress that we see every season. Mix things up with a fun pattern! This mod style dress makes for the perfect party dress that you can re-work into your wardrobe after the holidays. It’s a win-win.
If you’re into this look and are wondering what makeup style to rock, I recommend a bold cat-eye and nude/pink lipstick. You can’t go wrong!
Go take over that holiday party, girl!
Woot woot it’s Friday! I’m back home in Dallas for Thanksgiving and let me tell you- I am loving this cold/gloomy weather! Am I totally weird for saying that?
On a brighter note, I shot this spaztastic outfit in LA a few weeks ago. I feel like I have to say that now since I dyed my hair lighter. I guess my secret is revealed!!! Actually, it’s no secret that 9 out of 10 bloggers shoot their outfits of the day way in advance. Alright so lately on the blog I’ve been layering button-downs underneath my sweaters and shirts A LOT. Now my dresses! I guess you can say I’m obsazzed with this trend. It’s such a fun and chic way to play up your wardrobe with unique patterns and styles. Try it!
P to the S: If you’re wondering, “Dang is this girl as hyper as she writes?” Well you need to check out my latest Youtube vlog I recorded in NYC this week and judge for yourself. Hey now- I was running on 2 hours of sleep! hahahah
Photography: Steaksauce Production
-My Outfit Details-
Bottoms: Virgos Lounge (also comes in turquoise)
Shirt: H&M (shop similar)
Bag: Society of Chic (shop identical $15)
Heels: Zooshoo (also comes in BLK, Red, Green)
Gold Bracelet: CC Skye | Necklaces: N/A
Holy sequins. Today I’m thrilled to share what I wore to the Simply Stylist: Dallas event last Sunday! How major fab are these leggings slash pants?! I got so many compliments on them, (thank you Virgos Lounge!). Trust me, pictures will not do them justice.
Thank you so much to everyone who came out! You guys were so cute!
Part 2: Simply Stylist Blogging 101 RECAP
This is going to be a longer-than-usual blog post. I am including a “Part 2″ to this post which features some of my talking points during the breakout session I hosted called, “Blogging 101.” It was all about getting started and how to slowly transition your blog into a full-time job. I am a very honest and open blogger, so I hope you can take these tips and put ‘em to good use! Always remember what works for one person might not work for another. These are things I tried and they worked well for me! It’s always good, however, to soak up as much information as you can in this field because there is a lot to learn. I wish someone shared these tips with me in the beginning! Enjoy.
Step 1: Getting Started- Expect to invest more than you’re going to get out of your blog in the beginning. The goal of a professional blog should be to use it as a platform to build your brand.
- Discover your passion: What is your passion? What can you seriously write about everyday & never get tired of? For me that was fashion and beauty. More specifically, affordable style & DIY beauty. I also think my middle-eastern roots worked in my favor. Not many known fashion experts with this background! Find your niche.
- Research: Have a good idea of what you’re into before jumping into it. Look to sites like IFB.com as a go-to guide. It helped me so much in the beginning! Also get lost in Google! Research some of the top bloggers in your desired field and simply see what they’re up to. Read their stories. Don’t copy.. simply observe & get inspired!
- Name your blog: Seems like the easiest part, right? Nope. Choose wisely! It’s all about branding a title that represents you. Don’t rush this step.
- Create your blog: Great sites like blogspot, wordpress, etc offer free blog accounts. If you’re willing to put in the extra cash, hire a programmer or an online marketing company that can bring your vision to life. Start saving now.. (aint cheap!)
Step 2: Your blog is set up. Now what?
-Invest in a good camera or work with local photographers who can give you a good rate OR work with you for free to build their portfolio. I own a Canon T3i Rebel with 50 mm lens (purchased on bhphotovideo.com)
-Bookmark go-to online editors/photoshop (I love using Pixlr.com to edit my pics & create collages. I never use photo shop! Too complicated. ha!)
- POST. Discipline yourself in the beginning. It’s going to be tough getting used to this new lifestyle. Your blog will become your baby. Take care of it by posting rich content. AKA Think creatively! Get a planner and set goals at the beginning of each of week so that you start treating it like a job. Start 1-2 times a week and then work your way to posting 5 days a week (full-time).
- Keep your writing simple. This ain’t CNN! Spell check but don’t be afraid to be you.
-Keep an inspiration folder on your desktop, or use Pinterest if you need to get inspired!
-Be social: Your blog is just ONE platform. Build your social media presence to help drive traffic to your blog. 80% should be posts about your blog/brand. The other 20% can be personal tweets etc.
Step 3: Don’t hate, collaborate! Things I did starting out..
-Reach out to other new bloggers and do a fun collab! Link eachothers’ blogs (the more link outs the better!)
-Find new designers/brands on sites like Etsy.com and reach out to them to feature for trade. (This will help you come time to create a press page/kit!)
-Intern for fashion jobs as often as you can. It’s okay to have a blog and intern for other companies at the same time. This will help your blog + you will grow so much!
Step 4: Keep it classy. Always.
- Email etiquette: Go into your settings and custom create a signature, Never start an email or subject with “hey!”, Spell check, Never send mass emails- brands will hate you for this.. spam spam!!
- Network: It’s definitely part of the blogging world! Go out there and don’t be afraid to network and promote your blog. If you’re living in a city where not a lot of events take place, partner up with other bloggers and create your own! P.S Always carry business cards (get them as soon as you’ve created your blog. I love moo.com).
- STAY HUMBLE. The most important tip I can give. Never act like you’re entitled to treat people a certain way because you have a blog. As bloggers it is our job to inspire the public. All money aside, that is the goal at the end of the day! The more you humble yourself, the more respected you will be. Being snobby will only tear down your empire. Always remind yourself (constantly) that your blog is standing because of your audience. Engage your readers and more importantly, appreciate every single one of them.(LOVE MY SPAZZERS!)