5 Makeup Tips Every Bride Should Note
Beauty | March 15, 2017
Since posting this photo on my Instagram, I’ve been getting tons of questions about my sister’s wedding makeup I did on her! I’m really happy with the way it turned out. I thought it might be helpful to break down the look with some helpful tips and tricks that are especially great for any future brides out there.
Note: I’m self-taught, so imagine the look on my face when my sister asked me to do her wedding makeup. I was so nervous (Snapchat fam knows!) because I’m only used to doing my own makeup. When it comes to matching other skin types/tones to all my favorite products, it can be challenging. I couldn’t tell my sister no, so I did my homework, practiced on myself a few times and THANK GOD it all worked out.
If you’re a bride-to-be, I’m sure you have similar concerns and questions about how your makeup will look on the big day. I’m going to list and address some of those concerns. I learned a lot from my makeup artist friend Lyndsay after my big day and also after doing my sister’s makeup last weekend. Keep reading…
5 Bridal Makeup Tips
1. Will my Makeup Last all Night? This is probably the number one question I’ve heard from brides. The goal for my sister was to create a natural face but with full coverage. A good makeup artist will understand the technique for creating a flawless face without looking cakey and overdone. My makeup mentor Lyndsay suggested I mix Kevyn Aucoin’s #7 concealer with this foundation and this magical product from MAC. The three combined created the PERFECT texture, tone and coverage. Another tip for flawless foundation is exfoliating the skin right before you start. Getting rid of those dead skin cells will make a noticeable difference! My sister’s skin can be dry, so I prepped her face using Neostrata’s Duo Microdermabrasion followed up with this awesome moisturizer.
2. Don’t be Afraid to Cry, Girl: Request that your makeup artist use as many waterproof products as possible (especially in the eye department!). For my sister’s big day, I used L’Oreal’s Voluminous Waterproof Mascara, Stila’s Smudge Pot (in black), and their Smudge Waterproof Eyeliner (in Stingray). P.S. Don’t forget to wear a primer to protect your foundation and eye makeup!!
3. Fake Lashes or No?: In my sister’s case, she just got eyelash extensions a few days before her wedding. If you’re going to wear lashes, stay away from super heavy ones with thick bands. It will cast a shadow on your eyes and the band line will make it noticeable when you look down in photos. My favorite lashes are Ardell’s Individuals and Wispies. (Don’t forget to use a waterproof glue!)
4. Shine Control – Bound to Happen?: Yes and no. There are definitely ways to keep the shine under control and unnoticeable. I recommend brides set every cream product they apply on their face with a good setting powder. This includes cream contours. For under the eyes, I use Laura Mercier’s super light brightening powder that’s great for hiding fine lines. For the rest of my sister’s face, I used this.
5. BLEND, BLEND, BLEND: My sister kept making fun of how many times I kept hammering her face with my Beauty Blender. Blending every step of the way is KEY for achieving flawless coverage. For wedding makeup, we apply tons of layers on top of layers, so it helps to blend every step of the way. For the eyes, I recommend investing in a good brush set like this one.
I took all of these photos on my iPhone, but you get the point. 🙂 Before I go, I just want to say I have SO much respect for makeup artists out there! You guys really take the time and energy to put your best efforts into creating a flawless face. It was an awesome feeling when my sister looked at herself in the mirror after I did her makeup and felt like a queen.
– Shop the Post –
Sensual Skin Enhancer • Kevyn Aucoin
Armani Women’s Luminous Silk Foundation – Beige • Giorgio Armani
MAC Strobe Cream • M·A·C
Skin Active Perfecting Peel • NeoStrata
Sunday Riley Women’s Tidal Brightening Enzyme Water Cream • Sunday Riley
L’Oreal Paris Voluminous Bold Volume Building Mascara Waterproof • L’Oreal
Stila ‘Smudge Pot’ Gel Eyeliner – Black • Stila
Stila ‘Smudge Stick’ Waterproof Eyeliner – Stingray • Stila
Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion – Original • Urban Decay
Ardell Wispies False Eyelashes – 4 Pack • Charlotte Russe
Ardell Individuals Medium Black Lashes • Ardell
Ardell Duo Adhesive Lash Adhestive Clear 0.25 oz • Ardell
Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder, 0.14 oz • Laura Mercier
Beauty Blender Single Makeup Sponge • Beautyblender
Bh cosmetics 10 Piece Sculpt + Blend 2 Brush Set
Thanks for stopping by. Chat soon!