What Does a Serum REALLY Do?
Beauty | January 18, 2017
What does a serum REALLY do? That is the question. I don’t know about you guys but when it comes to my everyday skincare routine, I don’t want to be stressed out about it! I try to keep it as simple and effective as possible. I plan on doing a full skincare routine post soon but in the mean time I wanted to break down the facts about serums.
What is a serum?
A serum is a skincare product you can apply to your skin after cleansing but BEFORE moisturizing with the intent of delivering powerful ingredients directly into the skin. It is made up of smaller molecules that can penetrate deeply into the skin and deliver a very high concentration of active ingredients. This makes them a great tool for targeting specific skincare concerns, like wrinkles. Goodbye, signs of aging! 😉 (via into the gloss)
Your anti-aging skin serum is personal, so make sure you’re getting one that’s going to do the job you want it to do. If there’s one product I’ve left out of my routine, it’s a serum. Oops?
Here’s what I’ve been missing out on after some major research.
- Look for high-quality skincare ingredients by reading the skin serum label or researching online, including:
- -Vitamin B12
- -Folic Acid
- -Carrot Root Extract
- -Hibiscus Flower
- -Shea Butter
- -Acetyl Dipeptide-1 Cetyl Ester (a peptide that’s found naturally in the human body and helps to increase elastic fibers that strengthen skin)
- -Hesperidin Methyl Chalcone (a natural ingredient found in citrus fruits like grapefruit and oranges that helps reduce dark circles under the eyes), and
- -Hyaluronic Acid (which helps the skin to maintain a supple look by staying hydrated, and is also found naturally in the human body)
- -Palmitoyl Oligopeptide(which helps to increase the production of both hyaluronic acid and collagen below the surface of the skin)
- -Ubiquinone CO-Q-10
Don’t for get to read personal skincare reviews on third party websites as well as the serum’s own brand website; if it’s a new product there may be few reviews but you can check the past users’ ratings to determine their opinions. That always helps!
In my latest video, I’m sharing my current serum routine so check it out if you’d like!
I’m interested to hear your thoughts about serums. Are you currently using one? If you have any favorites of the moment be sure to share with me below.