Tips for Decorating Your Holiday Bar Cart
As many of you know, Stevie and I partnered up with West Elm this past spring to give our living room a little makeover. One of my favorite items that our talented friend Sara helped us pick out was a simple brass bar cart with glass shelving. At the time I didn’t give it much thought, but as the seasons change, I’ve found myself being able to dress it up! It’s fun and something I enjoy doing.
Just like an outfit, you have to pick a theme/vibe for your cart. Since it’s the holiday season, I wanted to transition my fall cart into a more festive (but affordable!) theme. All I had to do was change out the flowers for a more holiday-looking batch, and incorporate other seasonal items, like a cute rose gold shaker. If I’m hosting a party, I’ll make a quick run to a crafts store for party napkins and/or specific themed items. That’s it! So easy. I can definitely see this cart living through January, so thank God for a nice timeless theme that won’t look out of season!
Here are a few quick tips if you’re thinking about dressing up your bar cart for the holiday season:
1. Not a drinker? Not a problem. Decorate with your favorite sparkling cider, water, or non-alcoholic beverage of your choice. Definitely have some type of cute labeled beverage on display.
2. Add levels. Stack a few books to raise up the vase of flowers, or use a couple of different heights of glassware to give your cart some dimension.
3. Don’t overcrowd! No need to put every bottle of wine and glassware you own – just a few will do. 😀
4. BYOF – Be Your Own Florist! I couldn’t find a particular bouquet that stood out to me, so I hit up Trader Joes and grabbed a few different flowers I liked and put them together at home. It turned out prettier, and cheaper! 😉
5. Add some sparkle! I didn’t add any lights to this cart, but throughout the year I like to decorate with little twinkle lights around the house and in our backyard. You can find the super inexpensive ones ANYWHERE! I’ve seen them sold at Marshall’s, TJ Maxx, Anthropologie.. (I’m talking these thin copper wire with small twinkle lights – ya know?)
Do you guys have any other tips for future bar carts? Sound off in the comments and let ya girl know!
xoxo and Happy Holidays!
Shop the Post
Photography credit: Jon Volk