Let me paint a little picture for you- so you’re staring blankly at your closet, wondering why you bought that shirt that’s hanging in front of you. It’s been hanging there for weeks. And what about that printed scarf you’ve been dying to wear? Ugh. Let’s face it, styling an outfit when you’re feeling uninspired can be overwhelming.
Look on the bright side. Even Anna Wintour, the queen of fashion, even has those days. The good news is we’re all human. I’ve made one too many style mistakes of my own and found that these four easy steps can whip up an inspirational outfit on an uninspired day. Let’s get creative, shall we?
4 Tips for Styling a Cute Outfit
1. Add something FRESH. The best way to keep your day to day outfit fresh without breaking the bank is to incorporate a “current” piece. This can be a new jewelry piece you’ve been dying to wear or maybe it’s a current trend (ex. vintage velvet choker)
2. Build the base. When I say “base”, I mean the foundation of your outfit. The shirt, pants, dress, outerwear. I usually go two ways with this. Either fun-crazy or simple-chic. When I’m feeling uninspired, I love turning heads with a bold piece (ie. this fun 90’s skirt) to switch things up. Ironically, it puts me in a better mood. Most days when I don’t have anything exciting going on, I stick to comfortable pieces that are timeless like a chic white tunic and ripped cigarette skinny jeans.
3. Rules for making a statement. Being dull/boring is never fun – but neither is being loud/obnoxious. Right? I think the best way to stay in the middle is to keep distracting pieces to a minimum (I wish somebody told me that when I wore this.) Be selective with your pop of color and/or pattern because a little goes a long way. This includes but does not limit: a clothing graphic, your makeup look, hairstyle, jewelry, shoe style and color.
4. Organization helps. Try putting an outfit together in a messy room/closet. It’s the worst. Imagine going to your favorite online shop and trying to find what you’re looking for if there weren’t categories. It’s impossible! I noticed when I organize my clothes by category it really helps (ie. the bottoms are in one drawer and my casual tops are in another) I do a closet purge every 4-6 weeks to make room for new clothes and get rid of old ones I won’t wear again. It makes styling that much easier!
The next time you look into your closet and you feel the blank stare coming on, I hope you’ll remember some of these tips. What are some of your best styling tips? I included a few more of mine below.
Tips to spice up oldie but goodie outfits:
1. roll up sleeves – makes a button up casual
2. cuff jeans – undone look
3. drape the jacket – makes cheapest outfit look chic
4. knot the shirt – right at the waist to show off that curve. fun
5. half tuck – not too frumpy/sloppy, also not too proper
– Shop the Post –
(Outfit Details: Shirt – Forever 21 (old, shop similar) // Skirt: Missguided // Bag: Gucci // Heels: ZARA // Choker: Sayran)