As y’all have probably noticed, I travel A LOT. In fact, I’m on a plane right now heading to Cabo and decided to share a city guide to Austin that features some of my favorite spots in the city. Stevie and I were just here for SXSW so I knew this post was meant to be! P.S – I want to get your feedback on these personal diaries of cities I frequent. I hope you find this city guide to Austin helpful when exploring some new and exciting places!
The first city on my list is Austin, TX. This is where my hubby and his family are from, so we go a few times a year. There’s so much to see, do, and eat! Here are a few of our favorite places that we absolutely cannot miss when visiting Austin 🙂
1. El Chilito on East 7th- Breakfast tacos y’all. If ya don’t know, now ya know. El Chilito kills the breakfast game, and even better, they have it all day! My personal favorite is the Cherrywood breakfast taco. Mmmmmm!!
2. Josephine House- This is my go-to lunch spot! It’s quaint, cozy, and GREAT for photos. Also, the food just so happens to be delicious. The burger is my fave!
3. Guero’s Taco Bar on South Congress- You just can’t go to Austin and not eat Tex-Mex. I love this place. Their queso is Straight Outta Heaven, and I’m always torn between the fajitas or the enchiladas. Guero’s is also located on South Congress, which is full of great boutique shopping and Austin culture (and the iconic I Love You So Much wall on the side of Jo’s Hot Coffee– perfect for pictures!)
4. Hamilton Pool – This place is one of the most beautiful hidden gems- it takes a short drive and an even shorter hike to get here, and man is it worth it. The spring has been so well preserved that you can swim or walk around in it and feel totally clean afterward. But don’t bring your dog- no pets allowed!
5. Hope Outdoor Gallery (aka Graffiti Park) – Grab some spray paint and your creative side and explore this amazing three-story outdoor gallery. This is a place where anybody can go and showcase their creativity, and it’s also got a great view of the city. Have I given you enough photo opps in this list? Because this is another!
6. Zilker Park – This is one of my favorite places in Austin- people take their dogs, bikes, frisbees, and picnics, and just make a fun day out of it! If it’s warm you can go to Barton Springs and jump in the natural pool, then grab a snowcone and walk around Ladybird Lake on the hike-and-bike trail.
7. Murals for Photo Opps – There is so much beautiful art around the city of Austin, and some of my favorites are the murals you’ll find on random walls. The website below gives you the addresses for a few of them (my favorite is “You’re My Butter Half” – Stevie and I took a photo there). Oh, and don’t forget your camera 🙂
8. Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood, TX – It’s a little bit outside of Austin, but it’s worth the drive. Try to get there a little bit early in case there’s a wait. I always get the Brisket Plate, but you really can’t go wrong!
9. The Oasis on Lake Travis – Go here at sunset hour for a drink and an appetizer, and make sure you sit outside for the famous Texas sunset over Lake Travis- it’s absolutely breathtaking.
10. Lucille Patio Lounge on Rainey St. – This place is perfect for a nightcap– the crowd is young and super chill, and the drinks are well made (and delicious!). Rainey Street is super cool because it was all started from little houses being made into bars. There are tons of places to check out after you stop at Lucille’s!
I hope you enjoyed my travel guide! Please comment below if you try any of these places or have other suggestions- I would love to hear so I can go on my next trip 🙂 xo Saz