Happy New Year everyone! I apologize for the lack of posts lately – I just got back from the British Virgin Islands! I’ll be sharing a diary very soon. In the meantime, I have so much to catch up on. Award season has officially kicked off which means it’s time for me to award my favorite foundations of 2016. lol! It’s a new year which means new beginnings, right? If you’ve been using the same foundation since 1999 props to you, but maybe it’s time to discover all the new formulas out there. Just like technology advances so quickly, so are beauty and makeup products in the market.
Today I thought it would be helpful (and fun!) to round up my top 5 favorite foundations for acne-prone skin. And the awards go to….
My go-to look has always been to create a natural, soft + glowy look. I’m at a stage in my life when I’m totally over my cake face Texas days. With that being said, I’ve tried tons of foundations (drug-store included).
Try taking a selfie when you’re testing out a new foundation look. How it photographs totally matters – even if you’re not a blogger or selfie-obsessed queen. Here are my current favorite foundations if you’re looking for a good one for everyday coverage.
1. Marc Jacobs Re(Marc)able Foundation – If you like a full-coverage effect then you will love this oil-free foundation from Marc Jacobs. 3 small dots on your face will go a long way with this foundation. The only downside is finding the right color to match your skin type. The closest match for my skin tone was Honey Deep 58, but it still looked a little light so I mixed it with the next shade up -Cocoa Light 82. I recommend their foundation brush for best coverage and try their coconut primer to keep your skin hydrated since it is an oil-free foundation. (see my tutorial using this foundation)
2. All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation – If Marc Jacobs coverage is too much for you then you might like a medium-coverage effect – like this one from NARS. It’s also oil-free but I like that it still has a creamy texture on my skin. (see my tutorial using this foundation) ** in shade “Barcelona”
3. Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation – If you’re new to the liquid foundation world, I say go with this one. You won’t regret it. It’a a low-density product that pairs high-impact pigments with weightless texture. This foundation is my go-to for day or night. It glides seamlessly onto the skin like silk! It also doesn’t irritate my skin. (see my tutorial using this foundation) ** in shade “5.75”
4. Laura Mercier Oil-free Silk Creme Foundation – You guys know I’m obsazzed with Laura Mercer. This oil-free foundation is great to protect acne-prone skin. It features a 12-hour wear, highly-pigmented that blends seamlessly onto skin – hiding hard-to-cover imperfections. It leaves a flawless finish and absorbs oil and balances moisture for normal to oily skin. (no tutorial with this foundation yet but here’s a recent selfie wearing it) **in shade “Cashew Beige”
5. Buxom Weightless Foundation – Once you go with this Buxom foundation, it’s hard to go back to anything else. This is the only foundation from my list that isn’t oil-free but no need to panic because it’s a featherweight foundation that combines the benefits of BB and foundation with light to medium coverage. It’s also clinically proven to increase hydration, brighten, and smooth skin while softening the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. (woo!) Formulated with vitamin C, tamarind seed, and marine algae extracts, its versatile coverage lasts for up to eight hours, while water encapsulation technology enables a refreshingly soft finish. (see my tutorial using this foundation) ** in shade “Meet Me Latte”
Favorite Drugstore Alternative?
If you’re on a budget don’t panic. The first time I went into a drugstore to explore the foundation aisle, I was there for over an hour. There were so many options to choose from that it left me feeling tired, overwhelmed and a little nervous. Here’s my best tip for acne-prone skin. For skin types like mine I say, when in doubt go with oil-free drugstore foundation. I recently did a drug-store only makeup tutorial on my channel and I really am hooked on the one that I picked out! The selfie below is from me wearing this foundation. Love it.
Q: Liquid foundation causes break-outs. Fact or Myth?
I used to think that liquid foundations were to blame for causing my break outs. It is important to pay attention to the ingredients in your makeup. Try Googling, “chemicals to avoid in my foundation” and see what pops up. Thank God for the Internet. Most beauty products are designed to stay fresh and stable only for a limited period of time.
Q: How important is it to have a daily skincare regimen?
Is that even a question? Most women will agree that their makeup looks 10 times better after cleansing and moisturizing their face. Taking care of your skin on a daily basis is key – even if you’ve never had a pimple in your life! I’ve also learned that dry skin can cause acne just as much as oily skin. I am obsazzed with skincare and can go on about this all day. I’m going to share an updated skincare routine post soon because in the past few months I’ve learned a lot through my new skincare routine I started (and truthfully I’ve never been happier with my skin..I even posted a no-makeup selfie!)
Q: What’s your favorite anti-acne foundation primer?
Lastly, in my opinion you can’t have your foundation looking flawless without a primer. I recently changed my primer routine and oh my what a difference that made! I started using the mattifying primer that has an anti-acne treatment in it from Cover Fx (it doesn’t dry out my skin either – it’s awesome!) I’m obsazzed.
Perhaps you’ve tried some of my favorite foundations listed above? If so, share your thoughts. Which one is your fave?
– Shop the Post –