Unfortunately, not all men are born tall and handsome with naturally built physiques. This doesn’t mean that you aren’t a good looking man. There are unique clothing and grooming choices that can go a long way in helping you make the best of what you’ve inherited. Like women, men also come in all shapes and sizes. The most important thing to remember when you’re dressing your body is what compliments your frame and what doesn’t. There are a number of simple rules and style techniques you can follow to look and feel your best.
TIPS FOR SKINNY MEN:
When it comes to fashion, just as overweight individuals find it tough to buy clothes that are flattering for a larger body, skinny men experience difficulty finding clothes that fit well and complement their smaller frames.
• American stores tend to size up. Shop EU imports like H&M, Topman, & Zara.
• Bold and funky patterns are okay to wear as long as you have a skinny frame.
• Fashion trends were designed with your body type in mind – take advantage of it.
• LAYER!!!!!! Double on the tee-shirts and button-ups.
• Try Loose Fits: Stay away from skinny jeans (unless you’re a hipster) because this will only emphasize your skinny legs. Also avoid tight shirts. Wear clothing that is relaxed and loose-fitted. (Tailor waist/ hem lines if necessary)
• Your pants should have a classic cut and remain simple with a flat front. Go for straight-leg or slightly boot-cut shapes.
• Shopping: Buy blazers with small shoulder padding. This will give your upper body more of a muscular and defined look.
• Jackets: When it comes to jackets, make sure they all fall right under your buttocks. A shorter jacket will emphasize your height as well as your skinny waist, arms and legs.
TIPS FOR BIGGER MEN:
The best way to look great in the long-run when you’re overweight is to lose excess weight with the help of a proper diet and exercise program. Once you start dropping the LB’s, you’ll start to notice your clothes fit better. Your new found confidence will also boost your motivation to try new fashions and styles.
Since there’s no reason to put off looking good until you reach your goal weight, here are some tips to know in the meantime.
•If it’s tight, it ain’t right- Your clothes should fit you perfectly. Garments that are too tight will show off lumps and bumps that you don’t want to draw attention to. On the contrary, very loose clothing will hide your problem areas, but can make you look larger than you are. Solution? Choose pieces that skim over your body and smooth out it’s surface.
• Avoid Tops with Sloped Shoulders- These tend to draw the eye down to your midsection. (AKA t-shirt shoulders) Instead, check to make sure all your tops have slightly squared shoulders as they concentrate others’ attention on your body to your chest and face.
• Drop the bold patterns- Bold and loud patterns can draw unwanted attention to the upper half of your body. One pattern you should try? VERTICAL LINES. These lines create an optical illusion that your body is longer and leaner.
• Dark Colors: Dark demin, dark solid colors in shirts are your best friend! Dark shades are an instant physique fixer and will make you look 10 pounds thinner. Also, wear your pants long to look taller and thinner. They should almost hit the ground to really lengthen your body.
• Low-Rise Bottoms- Instead of trousers or tight jeans, invest in low-rise bottoms that sit on your hips. Get the right fit. If your belly hangs over the pants they are too tight! (and unflattering)
• Empty your pockets- Don’t carry around excess baggage. Emptying your pockets of unnecessary items like bulky cellphones, overstuffed wallets and electronic devices will take the focus off a large midsection. The goal is to make your hips appear smaller.
• Shirts: Wear v-neck, three-button down blazers and avoid bulky blazers!
Whatever your body-type, play with some of these different tips and techniques to see noticeably flattering results. Also, don’t forget that confidence if your sexiest accessory!